In 1849, German immigrant Heinrich Ludwig Kreische purchased 172 acres of land including the Dawson/Mier tomb, now known as Monument Hill State Historic Site. Master stonemason Kreische built a three-story house for his family. In the 1860s, he utilized the spring water from the ravine below his house and started one of the first commercial breweries in Texas. Walk the ruins of this once-bustling brewery and envision how Fayette County citizens would come and enjoy a pint of Kreische’s Bluff Beer while looking out toward the beautiful Texas landscape. The Kreische Brewery and home are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

location pin icon


414 TX-92 Spur  
La Grange, TX 78945 
Contact us
See map

clock icon


Open Daily
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Visitors Center
9 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Pets on leash are welcome.

tickets icon


Adult $5
Senior/Veteran/Teacher/First Responder $3
Child (6-17) $2
Child (5 and under) Free

Ask about our annual membership

calendar icon


Public Tours  
Living History Programs  
Special Events  
School Programs 

Brewery ruins

Plan Your Visit

The sites provide daily access to the Kreische family home, ruins of the brewery, hiking trails, picnic grounds, and the visitor center with history exhibits.

Brewery ruins

Kreische Brewery History

Heinrich Ludwig Kreische was born in Saxony, Germany in 1821.

Dawson Massacre monument

Monument Hill

Visit the final resting place of the brave individuals who lost their lives in the 1842 Dawson Massacre. 

A woman in traditional German clothes holds a can of beer in a sunny field of grass

Join Us for Bluff SchuetzenFest

Celebrate the history of the Bluff Schuetzenverein at our annual family festival and Texas History on Tap fundraiser on Saturday, May 18.