The lighthouse was built in 1852 due to the great number of shipwrecks that had occurred off Brazos Island in the Gulf of Mexico. By 1905, the lighthouse was decommissioned due to a downturn in maritime traffic caused by changes to the Rio Grande and the growth of railways. Present day, a reconstructed lighthouse keeper’s cottage sits in the shadow of Port Isabel’s 72-foot lighthouse and serves as a visitor center and museum. In 2022, after 117 years without a light, a 3rd Order Fresnel Lens was fitted in the lantern room. This addition brought the lighthouse back to the glory days it had not seen since 1905. Climb 75 winding stairs, three short ladders, and take in the coastal sights of the South Padre Island beaches at the last Texas lighthouse open to the public.
Open daily, 9 a.m.–6 p.m.
Seasonal hours may apply.
*Children must be 5 years old and accompanied by a guardian to tour the lighthouse. A child may not be carried by an adult.
See the site.
The lighthouse has long been a dominant feature at the southern tip of the Texas Gulf Coast. Its stood against the elements for more than a century, and has been a familiar aid to seafarers.