Restoration of the Navarro County Courthouse in Corsicana finished in 2016, incorporating many accessibility updates and putting original features back in place. The courthouse was designed in the Classical Revival style with Beaux-Arts influences by architect James Edward Flanders of Dallas in 1905. This courthouse is the fifth to serve Navarro County, after the previous structure was condemned for an unstable foundation in 1904.
The building features red burnet granite, buff brick, a French clay tile roof, open clock tower and a pedimental entryway with free standing ionic columns. It also happens to be one of only five U.S. buildings to use the Italian scagliola technique, which mimics a marble finish using layers of tinted plaster on interior columns in the courthouse atrium. Work performed included replacing the Lady Justice statue above the exterior pedimental entryway, restoring the district courtroom to its original two-story height, and significant restoration of trim and molding, from gold leaf application on the proscenium arch and balconies to the paneling on the judges’ bench.
The courthouse was rededicated on July 9, 2016.
Is your courthouse in need of historic preservation?
Our nationally recognized and award-winning Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program has turned around the trend of disrepair and begun restoring these treasured historic landmarks.Find out how we can help.