Elmer G. Withers of Fort Worth, known for his many Art Deco designs, was the architect for this 1931 courthouse that served as the prototype for two other Texas courthouses.
Water infiltration, outdated systems, and non-accessible offices, restrooms, and courtrooms were improved for this project.
The building massing with its stepped-back facades and differing roof levels typical of the era presented challenges for locating new systems, such as elevators. Consultants chose two elevators to reach all levels.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, entrance and restrooms on the ground floor were added.
The restored office space on the fourth floor preserved the original architectural features and volumes in the major public spaces. The original doors, windows, furnishings, fixtures, and finishes remained intact and were in relatively good condition. They required only minor repairs or refinishing.
The courthouse was rededicated on Nov. 11, 2006.
Is your courthouse in need of historic preservation?
Our nationally recognized and award-winning Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program has turned around the trend of disrepair and begun restoring these treasured historic landmarks.Find out how we can help.